Sierra National Forest - Dinkey Wilderness
This year in California we had quite the winter which was great, but also meant that the trails would be closed for hiking for quite some time. I have been wanting to go up to Nelson Lake since about April, but haven't been able to due to road closures, trail closures, and all the snow.
This past weekend I was finally able to get up there! Yay!
The hike itself is beautiful, somewhat challenging, and made for the perfect day. It took about two hours to get to the trailhead from Fresno. The hike to the lake is 5 miles (so 10 miles round trip). It was beautiful weather to go on the hike, but one thing I must warn you about is the mosquitoes. They were out in force and I forgot my bug spray :( Let's just say I stopped counting all the mosquito bites I had when I got home cause there were just too many.
Trail Details / Access / Etc. :
- Name of Trail-head: Cliff Lake Trail-head
- Access: The road is paved the entire way. You can get a 2 wheel drive car to the trail-head. The trail-head is gravel. It will take you about 2 hours to get to the trail head from Fresno, CA
- Dogs are allowed
- Permits are required for backpacking
- Distance: 10 miles
- Elevation Gain: approximately 1,025'
- Highest Elevation Point: 8,942'
- Trail type: There and back, one way
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Duration: Day hike
- Season: Best July - October (bring mosquito spray)
- Area / Location: Sierra National Forest, Dinkey Lakes Wilderness - Fresno, California
The Flowers though!
Now it is July and that means High Sierra Wildflowers! The flowers were blooming which is what I was hoping would happen. Here are some flower pictures I got :)
Then while driving home the sky decided to put on a beautiful show:
I hope you all enjoyed this blog and adventure. Leave a comment below if you have taken this hike before and don't forget to subscribe!
Wishing you all beautiful adventures!
P.S. wanna know what gear I used? Check it out here:
Camera: Sony A7Rii: http://amzn.to/1taGpAu
Favorite Lens: Sony FE 24-70 F2.8 G Master: http://amzn.to/2n747NJ
Best Wide Angle: Sony 16-35mm lens: http://amzn.to/1UBjBDW
Vanguard Tripod: http://amzn.to/2aoI5ku
LG G3 Smart Phone